Sunday 16 March 2014

500 words Brownie

the phrase "hairs on the back of my legs" does make sense, its just people are used to saying neck instead of legs

I can’t believe I’m in this situation. Salty beads of sweat trickle down my face. Shivering with adrenaline, I can feel my heart pounding in my chest like it’s never felt before. My body trembles and I try to clear my throat.  Adrenaline races through my blood stream as I finally come face to face with my demons...
...The gun is still there. The tall, menacing man holding it looks both lazy and relaxed. He towers over me, glancing down at my worried expression. Facing ahead again, he ruffles his black, fitted jacket, adjusting it to keep warm. The mean look about him, from his squinting eyes to his pursed lips, worries me. Doesn`t he know that this next move could result in my future? I can hear some people to the right of me talk in hushed voices but I can’t make out what they are saying. The only words that make any sense to me are my own name being called.
The mood of the sky is frightened, too. The hidden clouds with the sun trying to peek through could result in only one thing – a downpour. The skies start leaking and rain comes down hard. The steady downpour sounds like a hail of bullets. I wish he would get on with it.
The hairs on the back of my legs stand up and my throat is parched but this is not a time to drink.  I need to concentrate and focus on the task ahead. I have had training for this situation. I think back to my preparation manuals and diaries and silently plan my next move.  I mustn’t give away my thoughts and feelings to those around me. Refocusing I become aware of the unnatural darkness of the afternoon and am reminded of the importance of this day.
Glancing across the field, I suddenly see someone running away. I recognise the familiar colours of our group and part of me wishes that I was him.  But I have a job to do. People are counting on me.  He disappears around the corner, vanishing, probably hiding from the rain. Or worse.
Suddenly, the man shouts an order. I crouch down, my heart beating even faster than before. My soaked, brown hair flops over my eyes. The gun explodes!
This is it... I drive forward, out of my blocks. The crowd to the right start chanting my name and I push on. My spikes grip the damp, rubber track as I sprint towards the finish line. All the hard work has paid off as I realise my opponents are far behind me.

I can see it. I am going to make it.


comment for further editing. i hope you liked it!

35 comments:

  1. very good and good description

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did 500 about i dont know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeh, its 420 something because i wanted to keep it short

      Delete
  3. BTW this is the 3rd time ive entered the competition and you have 3/100 chance of getting through to the next round!(not even the top 50!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent description and it paints a picture in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. like the daecription

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good story, I like every bit of it. Also it's quite interesting I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing clauses and good use of words

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very good story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awsome clauses

    ReplyDelete
  12. good puncuation

    ReplyDelete
  13. very good clauses and vocab :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the way you used salty beads of sweat trickle down my face.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great description!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing use of vocabulary! I really want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really good description I really enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete
  18. fantastic description

    ReplyDelete
  19. why did you write the phrase at the start it confused me

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really liked reading it very good description .
    you also used the tool box

    ReplyDelete
  21. very good puntuation

    ReplyDelete
  22. very good like the description

    ReplyDelete
  23. An exalent piece of writing that you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing clauses and good use of words really liked reading it very good description .
    you also used the tool box

    ReplyDelete
  25. very good i dont know what i would change if i read through it 100 times

    ReplyDelete